Thursday, August 8, 2013

Black Rice Pudding

At the commissary the other day I noticed black rice.  We use rice fairly often since it's GF and I'm always looking for a new way to make it interesting so I grabbed a bag.  While reading recipes a couple of days later I came across a recipe for black rice pudding.  It sounded interesting so I thought I'd give it a go.  Rice pudding is great for a quick breakfast or a nice treat when you want something sweet - which we all do from time to time!  I read through about 15 different recipes and this is the one I frankensteined together which has received rave reviews around here.

Ingredients:
2 cups uncooked black rice (I used Hinode brand)
1/2-3/4 cup sugar (I use organic cane sugar)
1/4 teaspoon of salt (or less)
1 can of coconut milk
1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg

Cook rice to by package directions.  After rice has cooked and cooled down a bit (I cooked my rice the night before and put it in the fridge overnight.  I don't know why but all the recipes suggested cooling it first, so I did) add all ingredients and stir together well. Allow mixture to come to a boil then reduce heat to low, cover and cook for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened.

I don't have any pictures for this one and I'll be honest, while it was cooking it did not look appetizing - it reminded me a bit of flies in milk.  However, after cooking together it looks nothing like that.  The final product is a dark purple color and tastes uh-mazing!  We had it for breakfast this morning and I'm seriously considering having it for a snack now after typing this up.

No comments:

Post a Comment