Saturday, July 20, 2013

Pan Seared Flounder with Garlic Basil Cream Sauce and Zucchini Fries

This is never going to make it on to a list of super healthy meals, however, it does qualify as "clean" (I picked all the herbs and seasonings from my garden and got the closest thing to fresh fish you can get here which is to say I got frozen, wild caught [hopefully] fish) and it was so tasty I almost wish I were able to eat more at one time!  The sauce was my creation and the zucchini fries recipe is one that's been floating around my Facebook feed for the last week or so, I thought they'd pair well together and they did.  Flounder was the first fish I saw in the freezer, was just good luck that it worked out so well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zucchini Fries
Ingredients:

  • 1 lb fresh zucchini
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I used Parmesan/Romano because that's what I had on hand)
  • 2/3-1 cup Hodgson Mill Gluten Free Seasoned Coating Mix (the original recipe calls for one packet of Shake N Bake, I had to improvise a bit to make this GF)
  • 1 medium egg
Heat oven to 450 F.  Clean and trim zucchini then cut into 1/4 inch sticks.  Mix cheese and coating mix together in ziplock bag (or shaker bag if you're using the Shake N Bake) and shake gently to combine completely, set aside.  Whisk egg in a medium bowl, add zucchini and toss to coat.  Use tongs (or wear gloves and use your hands.  I swear I use as many gloves in the kitchen as a doctor does in surgery) to place 1/4 of the zucchini in the shaker bag; close bag and shake to evenly coat.  Remove coated zucchini and place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper (or sprayed with cooking spray if you prefer), repeat with remaining zucchini.  Bake 12-14 minutes, till golden.  Turn pan 180 degrees to ensure even baking.



Flounder and Sauce
Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs thawed Flounder
  • 1/2 stick unsalted butter (I use Challenge brand butter, and yes I ONLY use butter, never margarine)
  • 5 small/medium garlic cloves (the ones from the garden are never huge like the ones you see in stores
  • 1/3 cup finely diced onion
  • basil, basil, basil!  I used a combination of Greek, Sweet, Thai, Boxwood and Genovese (we like basil quite a bit, I've got tons of it growing here)
  • lemon thyme - I diced the basils and thyme together and the amount was about 1/3-1/2 cup, used equal amount of each herb
  • apx 2/3 can fat free canned milk (Pet milk)
  • grapeseed oil
Melt butter in medium skillet, add whole cloves of garlic and let cook on low heat till soft enough to easily smash with a fork (I think I let it cook about 10 minutes).  Once garlic has softened remove from butter, smash and return to butter, add onion and cook for 2 minutes.  Onion should be diced small enough that it softens and cooks quite quickly. Add the basil/thyme combination and cook for 1 more minute before adding milk.  Increase temperature and stir continuously till it just begins to boil then remove from heat.  The butter and milk will separate as soon as you stop stirring, this is fine just stir again before serving. 

While garlic is cooking sear fish in a separate skillet with a bit of grapeseed oil, turn once then cover to cook through, about 4-6 minutes - fish cooks very quickly.  I cooked 4 pieces at a time and was done about the time that the garlic had softened for the sauce.  

The butter obviously makes this not the most healthy way to eat but with all the basil only a bit of goes a long way and the basil/thyme seasoning adds a flavor that was unbeatable.  Planing on using the leftover sauce tomorrow with some GF Orzo pasta for dinner tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment