Monday, August 6, 2012

Super Shrimp

As far as I'm concerned shrimp is about the best thing on this earth food wise, I'd eat it for every meal if I could afford it.  Growing up I thought you could only eat it battered and fried, I love that method but as I've grown I've learned you can prepare shrimp just about any way you can imagine.  Here is one of my favorite recipes for quick, easy, tasty shrimp!

Ingredients:

1 lb raw shrimp - headed, de-veined and peeled (pre-cooked shrimp is horribly loaded with sodium, avoid it at all costs!)
1 small onion - chopped
2 cloves garlic - diced
1 small bell pepper - chopped
2 medium tomatoes - chopped
1 hot pepper (I use chile) - seeded and finely diced
6-7 white mushrooms - washed and chopped
olive oil
1Tbsp dark chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp basil


Directions:
add olive oil to large skillet (I use a wok skillet) the cook onion till it starts to soften, add bell pepper then garlic and cook till browned but not burned.  Add tomatoes (juice and all), mushrooms, pepper and seasonings and cook till mushrooms begin to darken.  Add shrimp and cook till shrimp begins to curl and turn opaque, remove from heat immediately - nothing it worse than over cooked shrimp.  Can be served alone or over rice/pasta/starch of your choice, personally I think it's best all by it's self!

No comments:

Post a Comment