Monday, August 6, 2012

Hhomemade Creamed Corn and Corn Pudding

Ingredients:

  • 10-16 oz of corn (I use fresh corn that I roast and then cut off the cob, but frozen will work.  If using frozen, cook corn first.  If you have to use canned it will work as well, but I generally try to avoid canned anything due to the sodium content)
  • 3 tablespoons butter (you can use margarine, but I'm kinda old school and prefer to cook with real butter)
  • 3 tablespoons flour (to make this gluten free I suggest using coconut flour which works well for thickening)
  • 2 cups milk (I use 1 large can of evaporated pet) milk, which is apx 1 1/2 cups and then a half cup of regualr milk to make the sauce extra thick - you can get evaporated milk in both 2% and fat free, both work and still taste just as good)
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar (you can use more, but I don't like it too sweet till the next day when I make it into pudding)
  • salt and pepper to taste (I use a little black and a little red, but I like a little more tang than most


  • Directions:
    1.  Melt butter in saucepan, stir in flour and blend well.
    2.  Add milk, about 1/2 cup at a time, and blend with whisk.
    3.  Cook over medium heat until thickened.
    4.  Stir in sugar, salt and pepper.
    5.  Add cooked, drained corn.
    6.  Stir together and let cool before serving.
    Corn Pudding:
    To make corn pudding for breakfast from the left overs the night before simply add a bit of brown sugar (light or dark, whichever you prefer), ground cinnamon and a dash of ground cloves, a dash of nutmeg - the nutmeg really brings out the flavors IMO.  There isn't really a recipie for this, you just add as much as you like for your taste, be warned tho that a little bit of clove goes a looooong way!  Heat until sugar has melted and all spices are well blended, serve and enjoy =)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment