Monday, November 19, 2012

Creamed Corn / Corn Pudding

I'm terrible at measuring when I'm tossing things together in the kitchen, so this is just a guestimate on the amounts here but after the first time I made this it's been often requested.  It's so easy and it can be converted to a good rib-stickin' breakfast on cold mornings, so I don't complain about it.  Back when we lived in Tennesucky I could get fresh corn from an Amish fruit & veggie stand for almost nothing and it was SO amazing that I would buy up tons of it, roast it, but it off the cobs and freeze it for later use.  When I got up to about 12 gallon size freezer bags I decided I needed to come up with something to do with all of it, so voila! Creamed corn that turns into corn pudding for breakfast.  As I said earlier, I'm horrible at measuring on the fly, I'd use about 2/3 of the bag - probably about the equivalent of about 4 drained cans of whole kernel corn.  If you're going with canned get the yellow and white mixed vateity, it has the best flavoring of all the canned corns in my opinion.

3-4 cans of whole kernel corn, drained
3 Tbsp butter (or non-dairy equivalent)
3 Tbsp GF all-purpose flour
2 cups milk (I use one can of Pet milk and 1/2 cup of regular milk.  I've used almond milk to make sausage gravy before and it worked like a champ so I'm sure it'd work well for this as well.
1/2 tsp of honey
salt and pepper to taste.  I find that a dash of cayenne pepper, dash of white pepper and a dash of Worcestershire black pepper


  1.  Melt butter in saucepan, stir in flour and blend well.
  2.  Add milk, about 1/2 cup at a time, and blend with whisk.
  3.  Cook over medium heat until thickened.
  4.  Stir in sugar, salt and pepper.
  5.  Add cooked, drained corn.
  6.  Stir together and let cool before serving.
To turn this tasty dish into an even tastier breakfast the next day it's quite simple.  There are no set measurements since there is no way to determine how much left over there will be so I'm going to guess this for having half the recipe left over from the night before.

Put cold cream corn in deep skillet, add 2 Tbsp of brown sugar (I prefer dark, but light works just as well) 1/2 - 3/4 tsp Saigon cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg and 1/8 tsp of ground cloves.  Mix together while warming corn, serve when brown sugar has dissolved.  Since the amount of leftover corn is always unknown these are just suggestions and should be adjusted to your tastes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment